Guess what! Today is my birthday! Yay! I’m really looking forward to spending it with my family, eating lots of yummy food, and feeling like a queen! It also means that I’m another year older, and another year wiser, so today I thought I would share with you 17 bits of wisdom that I’ve learned from 17 years of being alive.
- Never have your birthday party on your actual birthday. You don’t need to be stressing about everyone else’s happiness and playing host when it’s your special day to shine and just relax. Have it the day after or around your birthday instead.
- Fish Fingers and Custard are delicious, but never put them in a blender together and try to make a smoothie. The result is extremely disgusting and has to be exterminated. Stick to putting custard in a bowl, and just dipping the fish fingers in.
- It’s okay to have that one trashy TV Show that you watch when you’re tired and don’t know what to watch. It means you aren’t giving your favourite shows half of your attention and letting them down.
- Invest in your bed and your shoes. If you aren’t in one, you’re in the other.
- Candles. Candles. Candles. Light them whenever you need to sit down for a while in one room. They make everything better and cozier. If you think you might forget them when you leave the room, buy some battery ones instead. The quality of these is really good these days and looks super realistic. But trust me, ‘the living lights’ really brighten your mood, especially during the darker months.
- Not enough characters on twitter? Use an ampersand (&) instead of the word ‘and’. It buys you a few extra characters to say what you want to say.
- No matter what anyone else says, read what makes you want to read. As long as you ARE reading. That’s all that matters, it doesn’t matter if Twilight or 50 Shades started your reading journey, as long as you enjoy it and want to read more after finishing.
- The first spoonful of peanut butter out of a freshly opened jar is always the best, so savor it and get to it before anyone else in the house can.
- When in doubt, videos of puppies (especially golden retrievers), make the world a little brighter.
- You are never too old for teddy bears, sometimes the only thing that will listen and hug you back in the middle of the night is the soft colourful fur of a bear, comforting when nothing else is (whether you’re 5 or 50).
- Keep learning. Be curious. Research. If watching Outlander sparks an interest in Scottish history and the Battle of Culloden, run with it and find out what you can! Sometimes TV shows that take creative license give you that first step to wanting to find out more.
- Listen to what kids have to say, they see the world differently to adults, and often judge less and have more wisdom to offer, you just have to look for it.
- Be kind. Always. You never know what someone else is going through.
- Lead a balanced life style. It really is okay to pig out on chocolate and junk food every now, as long as you eat relatively balanced the rest of the week. Being unhappy with spinach your whole life could kill you just as much as sneaking some chocolate.
- Whenever you feel lonely, just look at the stars, because somewhere, someone is looking at them too.
- Do what makes you happy. Then repeat. And repeat again. Make note of these things and make an effort to have them in your life. Buy the book, wear the stripy socks, eat the weird food. Be you and do what makes you happy, because at the end of the day, it’s all that matters.
17a) Sometimes all you need is to stand in a bookshop and breathe in the smell of 10,000 stories.
17b) Talk to the people close to you about what you’re going through. You might think they don’t understand, but if they love and know you, they often already see you and understand more than you realize. They can see you even when you try to hide.
17c) No matter what age you are, you are NEVER too old for Disney. So have a marathon at 2am, or blast out the songs during a long car ride. It’s good for the soul.
17d) Never point out something about someone that they can’t fix in 10 seconds.
I know I went over my 17 limit, I guess I had too much wisdom I wanted to share! I hope you’ve enjoyed reading this post and maybe you got something out of it. Have a lovely day, I definitely intend to!